Friday, May 13, 2011

Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below(星を追う子ども) Review

I've just watched Makoto Shinkai's(known for 5 Centimeters per Second)
new feature anime film, Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below.

here's Trailer

Same as 5 Centimeters per Second, it shows lots of really well painted
background and I could see how Shinkai really focuses on making a
beautiful picture. Every frame got nice lighting and composition,
so beautiful.

There was big difference in story comparing to his old films. He often
showed somehow realistic and nostalgic love stories, but this time, it
was ghibli-like adventure story which is good for family. Personally,
I like this one better because it's so simple and got happy ending(some
people might say different opinion about ending but I assume as that).
5 Centimeter per Second is kinda depressing for me...

I could smell Ghibli-ish style from trailer like character designs, but
it really had Ghibli's influence than I thought. Some points I noticed are
how character's hair reacts with character's emotion(think of Nausicaa,
when she got mad in the scene when her dad was killed) , and how
character eats.(specifically, how character chews. It really reminded me
of Ghibli) These factors made me feel like this film is less original.

Overall, I really satisfied with this film. I think it was really well
animated for whole film and got good actings for anime. All technical
things aside, I could enjoy this film until the end without getting bored.
At least it was good enough to make me cry. I've watched several new
feature animes since I backed to Japan, and this one is the best so far.
I don't know when it's shown in US or Canada, but animators should
watch it. totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment